How to start a small online business
Achieving online business success is not easy. From choosing a product to sell to growing your online presence, there is a lot to consider. It won't be that easy. It requires know-how and strategy. Do it right, and your small online business will buy past those one-hit-wonder brands to become something much more than a dream. Here are the few steps to grow a successful online business:
- Start a business that fulfills a need.
Most people who are just starting a business commit the mistake of looking for the product first and the market second. Start with the market early to boost your chances of success. The trick here is that you need to find a group of people searching for a problem solution but not finding many results. This market research gets more manageable with the help of the internet.
- Visit online forums to know the problems which people face and the questions they frequently ask.
- Search for keywords to find the ones that many people are searching for but don't have a ton of competition with other sites.
- To check your potential, visit their sites, and note what they are doing to fill the demand. In this way, you will create an existing product for a market and do it better than the competition.
- Write copy that sells
There is a proven sales copy formula that makes the visitors go through the selling process from when they arrive when they make the purchase.
- Escalate interest with a compelling headline.
- Describe the problems solved by your product.
- Add testimonials from your customers.
- Give a brief description of the product and its benefits.
- Provide an offer.
- Give a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale of the product.
Your entire copy should be focused on how your product or service can solve people's problems and make their lives better.
- Design and create your website
After you have got your market and product and nailed down your sailing process, you need to create your small business web design. Make sure to keep it simple. Make sure to remember these points while designing your website;
- Select a maximum of one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Remember to keep your navigation clear and straightforward.
- Make use of graphics, audio, and video only if they enhance your message.
- Provide an opt-in offer to collect email addresses.
- Make it simple to buy- there should not be more than two clicks between potential customer and checkout.
- Keep your website customer friendly.
- Utilize search engines to drive targeted buyers to your site
Pay-per-click is the best way to get traffic to a brand new site. It has two advantages - first, PPC ads appear on the search pages immediately, and second, these ads enable you to test various keywords, headlines, prices, and selling approaches. Not only do you get your immediate traffic, but you can also discover your best, highest-converting keywords. Distribute these keywords throughout your site in copy and code to improve your organic search results rankings.
- Establish an expert reputation for yourself
People make use of the internet to gather information. Provide free information to other sites, and you will see better search engine rankings and more traffic. The secret to this is to include a link to your site with each tidbit of information.
- Give away expert content. Create contents that people will find useful and distribute them through online article directories or social media sites.
- Make sure to include "send to a friend" links on each content on your website.
- Become an expert in social networking sites where your target market hangs out.
Make use of the power of email marketing to turn visitors into buyers.
When you create an opt-in list, you make one of the most crucial assists of your online business. This means that your customers and subscribers have permitted you to send them emails, thus means:
- You are providing them with something they have asked for.
- You are creating lifetime relationships with your customers.
- Their responses are 100 percent measurable.
- Email marketing is cheaper and effective as compared to print TV and radio because it is highly targeted.
Anyone who opts into your list is a very hot lead. And there is no tool better than email for following up with those leads.
- Try to increase your income through back end sales and up-selling
One of the most important strategies of internet marketing is to develop every customer's lifetime value. There is no doubt that about 36 percent of the customers who have purchased from you once will buy from you again if you follow up with them. Make use of back end selling to get them to buy again.
Offer such products which can complement their original purchase,
Provide electronic loyalty coupons which they can redeem on their next purchase,
Make sure to give the related products on your "thank you" page after they purchase.
The internet is changing so rapidly that one year online equals five years in the real world. However, the principles of starting and growing a successful online business remain the same. Stick to this sequence if you are starting a small online business. If you have been online awhile, first do a quick review to see if there is a step you are neglecting. Once you know the basics, you are all set to start your online business!